Is social media an industry?
Answer by Gautam Ghosh:
Social Media itself isn't an industry – however there are group of companies that are anchored in social media that are forming an industry.
- Advisory and Research firms like Altimeter Group
- Consulting and Implementation firms like Dachis Group
- Vendors like Salesforce who have acquired Buddy Media, radian 6 an Rypple
- larger IT firms like Microsoft, Dell, IBM, Accenture, Adobe who are building Social Technology and Services capability
- Pure play social media services firms like We are Social, Social Wavelength (disclosure: I am a consultant)
- Enterprise Social Firms like Jive, Lithium, MangoApps