Companies that have never laid off employees. Ever!
Interesting article about 9 US companies that have never laid off employees.
What do they do?
- Nugget Market – In troubled times when the company anticipates it will need fewer workers, it stops replacing employees who leave voluntarily.
- Devon Energy has been able to avoid layoffs by making sure it keeps costs low during economic downturns and booms alike.
- At Aflac – Options like telecommuting and flex schedules — programs which resulted from employee suggestions — have helped streamline the organization and save millions of dollars.
- QuikTrip is privately held, allowing it to pour profits back into stores instead of divvying them up among shareholders.
- Container Store has avoided layoffs in this economy by freezing salaries and keeping a watchful eye on the balance sheet. Famous for its “open door” communication-driven culture, Container Store asked employees to do all they could to ensure the company’s strength during a tough retail climate.
- NuStar Energy has avoided cuts even as other oil and gas companies are experiencing layoffs, by managing costs and constantly looking for ways to improve profits.
- Stew Leonard – The privately held grocery chain doesn’t have to focus on quarterly earnings, allowing it to weather economic downturns and rising food prices without resorting to layoffs.
- Scottrade is a privately held company with a conservative growth strategy, there’s room for flexibility and a strong focus on the happiness — and longevity — of employees
- Since Publix is 100% employee-owned, it prides itself that “owners never want to lay off other owners.” Nearly 6,000 of the company’s “associates” have made a career at Publix, having served 20 years or more
So I guess if you don’t want to be laid off – work with a privately owned firm that is fiscally conservative